One of the most fallacious and detrimental ideas I have come across is the belief that you can separate your life into distinct physical, spiritual and metal spheres. It is like separating an engine and the chassis and claiming you still have a car. This happens especially in relation to our working environments.
I come across people who believe that they cannot meditate in their workplaces. While there are many in offices who want to curtail stress and connect with their inner souls and the Divine Being, they often lack strategies for doing this. Actually, there is no better place to look for peace like your workplace because you experience a lot of stress in this environment.
Acknowledging Your Spirituality
All this would change, if we realise that you are a spiritual being even before you become a worker. I don’t understand why you can consider yourself a spiritual being at home and feed your spiritual needs, yet when you go to work you become a physical being exclusively. The tragedy is that your job steals your energy to the extent that you begin to prioritise your physical needs above everything else.
How does this make you feel? Don’t you think that is the reason you sometimes don’t feel like going to work? Your mind, body and soul consider the work environment to be hostile to your spiritual needs. You wonder when working hours will come to an end so that you rush home to meditate. Considering work is an integral part of life, don’t you think you need to introduce your spirituality into your working environment?
Spirituality Is A Philosophy And Lifestyle, Not An Event!
From the onset, you must realize that spirituality should imbue your life. It is not a one-off event that happens when you arrive at home. If you understand this the environment you are in will not be a hindrance to your connection with yourself and Divine Power. Your soul needs to be nurtured at the same time and rate as your body and mind. Have you ever come across people who are very spiritual during the weekend and who become tyrants and sadists during the week?
How To Carry Spirituality Into The Workplace
The best strategy is to create a regular meditation plan. This is your ticket to an improved life as well as satisfaction and happiness in your place of work. You can accomplish this by having a number of reminders in your working environment:
- Life is larger than your work: Work is just part of what you need to live well but it is not everything. You are a human being who enjoys and requires happiness, encouragement love and support. Actually, you only feel fulfilled when your spiritual life is thriving.
As a spiritual being, the need for spiritual nurture should transcend all others because a weak soul is detrimental to your entire being.
- You need to meditate in order to release stress and thus improve performance: Stress kills productivity and efficiency. Meditation helps you to be innovative, creative, cooperative and communicative, which are important characteristics that every worker should have to deliver expected results. You come first: When you meditate or relax in silent contemplation, you learn to appreciate yourself in a profound manner. You then become a better decision-maker because you understand exactly what you need.
Meditation is the best strategy for dealing with stress, which is a key reason for poor performance in your workplace.
- Stop the hurry: You may deliver all your tasks before time, but the cost of doing so may affect your ability to function optimally tomorrow. Often what you deliver in a hurry turns out to be of poor quality. When you feel you are not in the right state of mind, it is better to slow down and return to the task when you are rejuvenated even if that means being late.
Learn to slow down in your workplace because most of what you accomplished when in a hurry is not fully completed or may leave you with burnout.
- You need to feed your soul just like your tummy: When you are in optimal spiritual health, you can concentrate on the present because you have dealt with the past. The future will not bother you because you have the confidence to face it. Take the example of the Bible where Christians are urged to seek the kingdom of God first and all their other needs will be fulfilled.
You are created with a spiritual faculty that requires to be nurtured irrespective of where you are and the time.
- Meditation is a potent power for change: You can give your spirituality a boost by meditating in your workplace. It is a proven strategy for normalising your blood pressure, finding tranquility and boosting your breathing. When you meditate, you discipline your mind to concentrate and this is important for your professional life.
There is no mandatory time and place to meditate if you really care about your inner self.
Your body, mind and soul are equally important and mutually interdependent. Meditating in your workplace will help you to realise who you really are. By understanding yourself, you will make it easy to perform your professional duties effectively and efficiently. Neglecting your spiritual needs for the sake of delivering your work on time is a weapon for destroying yourself and your professionalism.
Tips To Take With You To Your Workspace:
- Your professional life is as important as you spiritual life. Do not neglect your inner self for the sake of your job.
- Just as you have time for eating, create time too for meditation and other forms of spiritual nurture. Even 3 or 5 minutes of putting your headphones on and listen to a meditation APP or relaxed music will make a huge difference.
- Place reminders in your workplace so that you don’t forget the importance of your inner, self, meditation and their interconnectedness:
- Remember to breath
- Use positive affirmation
- Place some refreshing room sprays near your desk, and spray when you feel you need to wake up or to calm down.
- Happy Family, friends or beautiful art photos and pictures, they are always mood uplifting and bring comfort
But don’t overdo it all by creating out of your desk an altar and your office a temple. Make sure you place all your reminders with style and chick. Even if you have a Fortune Buddha sitting on your desk, a funny pictures of your children or a beautiful affirmation., don’t be shy that other people or colleagues will notice, be an example and inspiration for them. People will look up to you and its always a good start for an easy conversation before a serious meeting.
Your Grace Guru!