One of the most powerful phrases you will ever utter is, ‘Thank you’. There is magic in gratitude yet many people do not understand this. There are many reasons to look up and say ‘thank you’ to a higher power, relatives, friends and strangers. There is a reason that Thanksgiving has been dedicated to a specific day. The moment you begin to understand the power of gratitude and to practice giving thanks, you will be shocked at how many positives you have been locking out of your life.
I know you are likely to say, “Look around. What is there to be thankful for?” Granted, there are more than enough challenges to struggle with. They range from people to events. Some are inherent in our workplaces. Homes can become sources of stress for those who should derive joy in them.
But you can choose to be grateful for what you are and what you have even when the surrounding says otherwise. It all starts with an attitude of gratitude. You can choose to see all the gloom or do what the minority do – find opportunity in disappointment. The secret behind gratitude is the numerous doors it opens for those who embrace it. Those who see something to smile about and be thankful for are among the happiest people on earth.
So.. What Actually Is Gratitude?
To be grateful means to be thankful. It is anattitude rather than an act. A grateful person remains thankful even when other people don’t understand the reason for the gratitude. It means seeing the good in life and acknowledging the simple everyday things that many people would not notice. When was the last time you were thankful for your life? The fact that you woke up in this morning is a miracle worth being thankful for.
When you are thankful, you take note of the little pleasures that you would otherwise ignore. For example, what are the exceptional positives of your neighborhood? Do you appreciate the beautiful green environment in the countryside? It takes the smog, traffic and noise of the city for some to realise that nature is important? When was the last time you had a cold? When last were you admitted at the hospital? Are all these not issues to be thankful for?
Grateful people consider each day a miracle. They do not take their lives for granted. They are always aware of the good in their environment. They appreciate the chirping of the birds and the movement of birds in the sky. They realise that even the little creatures that crawl in their houses have a role to play in the ecosystem. Life becomes one great feast in which every moment is to be enjoyed. When you are grateful you don’t count your losses but your blessings. You look not at what you lack but what you possess.
Notice These Incredible Benefits Of Being Thankful
There is ample research to confirm that grateful people are magnets to those around them.
Thanksgiving has its unique way of transforming the way we live and what happens in our lives.
You will have more joy, better relations and less stress. Most of the problems we face are figments of the mind. They are built around fear and anxiety. Gratitude helps you to face them with confidence knowing the good around you can only increase.
Motivational teachings also encourage gratitude because by being thankful one is able to attract more positive outcomes in life.
The life you live today is a reflection of your dominant thoughts and feelings. Being thankful fills the heart with positive thoughts and this attracts more positive things in life. People who are thankful tend to attract positive people and circumstances. They enjoy living because they appreciate the little that comes in their lives.
Gratitude also helps you to overcome stress and negative emotions.
You cannot avoid being stressed and unhappy considering the many problems that we face daily. However, gratitude reduces your level of stress and depression. Being happy, enthusiastic and optimistic is a result of gratitude. This happens when you are grateful. You have a better chance of achieving success when you are grateful.
Tips To Be More Grateful
Gratefulness is an attitude but it must be cultivated through deliberate effort. You need to practice some routines and behaviours repeatedly until you become saturated with thankfulness. With time, you will realise that the more you practice being thankful the more you are likely to be happy, contented and successful in life. The following tips will help you to cultivate thankfulness:
- Keeping a journal: One of the best strategies you can use to develop a grateful attitude is to record the things you are thankful for in a diary. Writing enables you to reflect and learn from your experiences.
- Being thankful for meals: Before you eat or after you have eaten, be grateful to God or the universe.
- Thank people who help you: Be grateful to the waiter who serves you at the restaurant and other people who attend to your needs.
- Smile: Not many people can ignore a genuine smile and it is one way of making you even more grateful for your life.
- Start the day with a positive affirmation: When you wake up, repeat a phrase that makes you feel grateful.
- End the day with gratitude: Before you sleep, reflect on the events of the day and be thankful that you made it through the day.
- Bring a cheer to people in unfortunate situations: The misfortune of other people is not only an opportunity for you to help, but also to realise how fortunate you are.
- Celebrate the little things in life: Don’t wait for the big events of life; rather celebrate the milestones along the way.
- Listen to your favourite music: Play those refreshing tunes that fill you with cheer, especially as you retire to bed.
- Read a religious text: Most sacred books encourage believers to be grateful and kind.
Your Grace Guru